FILE PHOTO: The Samsung Galaxy Fold phone is shown on a screen at Samsung Electronics Co Ltd’s Unpacked event in San Francisco, California, U.S., Feb. 20, 2019 REUTERS/Stephen Nellis/File Photo
April 22, 2019
SEOUL (Reuters) – Smartphone maker Samsung Electronics Co Ltd has postponed media events for its Galaxy Fold planned for this week in Hong Kong and Shanghai, a company official said, days after reviewers of the foldable handset reported defective samples.
The official did not elaborate on reasons or rescheduling.
Instead of plaudits ahead of the phone’s launch on April 26 in the United States, the South Korean conglomerate has been blighted by technology journalists reporting breaks, bulges and blinking screens after using their samples for as little as a day.
Samsung said it received “a few” reports of damage to the displays of samples of the $1,980 handset, raising the specter of the combustible Galaxy Note 7 three years ago which the firm ultimately pulled from shelves at massive cost.
The reviewers’ reports of broken screens went viral online and prompted the creation of hashtag #foldgate on Twitter.
Samsung has hailed the folding design as the future in a field that has seen few surprises since Apple Inc’s iPhone in 2007. Chinese rival Huawei Technologies Co Ltd has also announced a folding handset, the Mate X.
The Samsung official on Monday said it had no change to its previously announced release date in the United States.
It plans to begin South Korean and European sales in May, and Chinese sales from an undisclosed date.
(Reporting by Ju-min Park; Editing by Christopher Cushing)
Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson spoke on “The Next Revolution with Steve Hilton” in an interview that aired Sunday about proposed new regulations aimed at making it easier for investors to take advantage of tax breaks for investing in “Opportunity Zones” in low-income areas.
“Policies have been pretty much aimed at putting people into programs,” Carson said, and now the Trump administration is trying to get poor Americans “out of the programs and self-sufficient.”
President Trump said last week that 8,700 neighborhoods across all 50 states and U.S. territories have received the Opportunity Zone designation and would be eligible for the federal tax incentives he’s proposed.
“The entire island of Puerto Rico is an opportunity zone,” Carson said.
“We are very concerned about the rural areas, too,” he added.
Trump’s proposed regulations were issued by the Treasury Department. They sought to clear up questions that were keeping some investors from using the incentives.
The program was included in the $1.5 trillion tax cut legislation that Trump pushed through Congress in 2017.
The new Opportunity Zones were set up to enable private investors to re-invest profits into designated areas.
“They are going to invest that money somewhere,” Carson said.
He noted private investors would do what they do because they “want to be successful.”
As White House officials have explained, investors in Opportunity Zones could get tax benefits by deferring their capital gains taxes invested in the zones until 2026. They also could receive discounts of up to 15 percent on capital-gains profits invested in the zones and would pay no capital-gains taxes on investments in the zones held for at least 10 years.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News Politics
FILE PHOTO: Japan’s Prime Minister Shinzo Abe delivers a press conference standing next to the calligraphy ‘Reiwa’ which was chosen as the new era name at the prime minister’s office in Tokyo, Japan, April 1, 2019. Franck Robichon/Pool via Reuters
April 22, 2019
By Linda Sieg
TOKYO (Reuters) – Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s ruling bloc suffered two rare losses in by-elections on Sunday in an apparent warning from voters not to get complacent ahead of a national election for parliament’s upper house later this year.
The defeats in a lower house by-election in Osaka, western Japan, and another on the southern island of Okinawa – host to the bulk of U.S. military in the country – were the first such losses since Abe returned to office in December 2012, except for one uncontested poll.
“Each individual (ruling) Liberal Democratic Party member must take the results to heart and buckle down,” Abe told reporters on Monday morning.
The defeats in the Sunday polls come after Japan’s Olympics minister, Yoshitaka Sakurada, resigned a year before the Tokyo Games for remarks that offended people affected by the massive earthquake and tsunami that triggered nuclear meltdowns in 2011. A vice transport minister also quit over a separate gaffe.
“The cabinet support rate is maintaining a certain level, but if they do not eradicate laxity and conceit, the upper house election will perforce be a difficult fight,” said an editorial in the conservative Yomiuri newspaper.
Support for Abe’s cabinet was at 47 percent in a survey by public broadcaster NHK released this month, up five points from the previous month.
In Okinawa, Tomohiro Yara, a free-lance journalist backed by several opposition parties and running on an anti-U.S. base platform, defeated a former cabinet minister.
In Osaka, Shimpei Kitagawa, backed by the LDP and its junior partner Komeito, lost to Fumitake Fujita from Nippon Ishin) (Japan Innovation Party), a conservative Osaka-based party that sometimes cooperates with the LDP nationally.
Speculation is simmering that Abe will call a snap lower house election in tandem with the upper house poll, possibly after announcing the postponement of a sales tax hike to 10 percent from eight percent scheduled for October.
Top government officials vowed on Friday to go ahead with the tax rise, barring a big economic shock.
Such a “double election” might help take advantage of weakness among the fragmented opposition parties, but could also spark the opposition to cooperate on candidates.
“Abe must be wondering which suffers more from weakness – LDP/Komeito or the opposition,” said Sophia University political science professor Koichi Nakano.
“A double election will also potentially galvanize the opposition into action … so it’s a double edged sword,”
(Reporting by Linda Sieg; Editing by Michael Perry)
Several Republicans hit back at Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, over the weekend after he said he was “sickened” by President Donald Trump’s actions as detailed in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report.
Romney said it was “good news that there was insufficient evidence to charge” Trump with conspiracy following the report’s release and that “the alternative would have taken us through a wretching process with the potential for constitutional crisis.”
However, he went on to slam Trump, writing, “Even so, I am sickened at the extent and pervasiveness of dishonesty and misdirection by individuals in the highest office of the land, including the President.”
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee on Friday ridiculed Romney for his loss to President Barack Obama in 2012 – Trump took a similar swipe on Saturday – while Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani called Romney, “a hypocrite.”
“Know what makes me sick, Mitt? Not how disingenuous you were to take @realDonaldTrump $$ and then 4 yrs later jealously trash him & then love him again when you begged to be Sec of State, but makes me sick that you got GOP nomination and could have been @POTUS” Huckabee tweeted.
Giuliani took aim at Romney during an appearance on CNN Sunday.
“Stop the bull. Stop this pious act that you weren’t trying to dig up dirt on people, putting dirt out on people,” he said. “What a hypocrite.”
Source: NewsMax Politics
Hawaii Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, a 2020 candidate for president, told Fox News on Sunday that Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election found “no collusion” between President Trump and Russia — and that it’s time for the country to focus on the issues that matter most to Americans.
Gabbard, a Democrat, told “America’s News HQ” that while she supported the Mueller investigation, “the conclusion that came from that Mueller report was that no collusion took place. Now is the time for us to come together as a country to put the issues and the interests and the concerns that the American people have at the forefront, to take action to bring about real solutions for them.”
She continued, “I don’t think that we should defeat Donald Trump through impeachment. I think it’s really important for us, in this country, to come together and have the American people vote to take Donald Trump out of office in 2020.”
Gabbard’s position came in direct contrast to Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., who last Friday called on the House of Representatives to start impeachment proceedings. Warren explained Saturday at an event in New Hampshire, “I know people say this is politically charged and we shouldn’t go there, and that there is an election coming up, but there are some things that are bigger than politics.”
Also Friday, former Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro, another 2020 candidate, said launching impeachment proceedings would be “perfectly reasonable.”
Gabbard countered, “What I am worried about is the continued divisiveness and putting partisan political interests ahead of the interest of the people,” citing a voter’s concerns about making ends meet while struggling with the costs of health care.
The Justice Department released a redacted version of Mueller’s report last Thursday. Mueller wrote that he found no proof Trump had conspired with Russia, and did not draw a conclusion over accusations the president may have obstructed justice.
For his part, President Trump tweeted on Sunday, “Despite No Collusion, No Obstruction, The Radical Left Democrats do not want to go on to Legislate for the good of the people, but only to Investigate and waste time. This is costing our Country greatly, and will cost the Dems big time in 2020!”
Fox News’ Adam Shaw and Leland Vittert contributed to this report.
Source: Fox News Politics
Apr 18, 2019; Brooklyn, NY, USA; Brooklyn Nets forward Jared Dudley (6) and head coach Kenny Atkinson argue with official James Capers (19) in the third quarter in game three of the first round of the 2019 NBA Playoffs at Barclays Center. Mandatory Credit: Wendell Cruz-USA TODAY Sports
April 22, 2019
Brooklyn Nets general manager Sean Marks was suspended one game without pay and fined $25,000 on Sunday for entering the officials’ locker room after Saturday’s Game 4 of the first-round series with the Philadelphia 76ers.
The announcement by Byron Spruell, president of NBA league operations, didn’t divulge what occurred after Marks entered the room following Brooklyn’s 112-108 loss. But the contest was emotionally charged and included a ruckus in which Jared Dudley of the Nets and Jimmy Butler of the 76ers were ejected.
Nets coach Kenny Atkinson was upset following the contest that there wasn’t a call on Philadelphia’s Tobias Harris for grabbing Brooklyn’s Jarrett Allen with 4.8 seconds left in regulation as his club looked for a tying or winning shot while trailing by two.
On Sunday, the NBA agreed with Atkinson’s contention, acknowledging that Harris should have been called for fouling Allen. Marks will serve the suspension on Tuesday when the Nets visit the 76ers in Game 5.
–The NBA fined Dudley and Butler in the wake of the altercation involving several players in the third quarter of Saturday’s first-round NBA playoff game in Brooklyn.
Dudley, who shoved Philadelphia’s Joel Embiid after Embiid made a hard foul on Allen, was fined $25,000, according to Kiki VanDeWeghe, the league’s vice president of basketball operations.
Butler, who then shoved Dudley, was fined $15,000 for escalating the situation. The scuffle then spilled over into the stands, with Philadelphia’s Ben Simmons and Dudley as lead combatants.
–San Antonio Spurs guard DeMar DeRozan was fined $25,000 for his ball-tossing effort during Saturday’s 117-103 loss to the Denver Nuggets.
VanDeWeghe said in announcing the fine that DeRozan was disciplined “for recklessly throwing the basketball toward a game official and into the spectator stands.”
DeRozan was given a technical foul and was ejected after the incident with 5:01 remaining in the contest. DeRozan was called for an offensive foul after charging into Denver guard Gary Harris. He then leaped in the air and spun and sent the ball flying to the left of Foster.
–The Cleveland Cavaliers were quick to halt any talk that they have interest in Rick Pitino as a candidate for their vacant head coaching position, cleveland.com reported.
The report, citing an unnamed source, said the Cavaliers have had no conversations with Pitino and “are respectfully not interested in him at all.”
Veteran NBA reporter Peter Vecsey reported Saturday that Cavaliers chairman Dan Gilbert had talked to the longtime coach about the vacancy. Pitino, who also was the head coach of the New York Knicks (1987-89) and the Boston Celtics (1997-2001), has been coaching in Greece since last year.
–Dirk Nowitzki’s NBA career might have ended earlier this month, but he still managed to score more points this weekend with a thank-you letter he penned to Dallas Mavericks fans.
The 2011 NBA Finals MVP and 14-time All-Star posted the letter in an ad he took out in the Dallas Morning News, wrapping up his 21-year career into 21 heart-felt lines that read like a poem.
Among the more touching lines: “From the moment I arrived in Dallas riding on this amazing roller coaster, you lifted me, supported me, pushed me to work harder,” and, “This is THANK YOU Mavs fans, from the bottom of my heart, for taking in a kid from Wurzburg and making me one of your own.”
–Field Level Media
The Trump administration is “not going to do a military exercise inside Iran” in order to precipitate a regime change, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, Axios reported on Sunday.
Pompeo was speaking in a closed-door meeting recently with about 15 Iranian-American community leaders in Dallas, Axios said, relying on three sources who were in the room.
Pompeo also distanced the administration from the People’s Mujahedin of Iran (MEK), an anti-regime organization that the U.S. once designated as a terrorist group and which some in the room said are worse than the current regime in Tehran.
He acknowledged that National Security Adviser John Bolton and Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani have friendly ties with the controversial group, but emphasized that neither he nor Trump did.
Pompeo mostly used euphemism to talk about the administration’s stance on Iran and was sparse with details, according to the sources in the room.
The secretary of state also said the Trump administration would have handled the 2009 Green Movement uprising against the regime very differently than the Obama administration did, but refused to describe how.
The State Department did not respond to requests for comment about the report.
Source: NewsMax Politics
FILE PHOTO – Apr 17, 2019; Bronx, NY, USA; New York Yankees right fielder Aaron Judge (99) looks on prior to taking on the Boston Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports
April 22, 2019
Right fielder Aaron Judge became the 13th New York Yankees player to hit the injured list as the team officially took the slugger out of action for at least 10 days on Sunday with a left oblique strain.
The Yankees recalled infielder Thairo Estrada to take Judge’s place on the roster.
Judge injured himself on a swing in the sixth inning of Saturday’s 9-2 victory over the Kansas City Royals. He hit a home run earlier in the game, his fifth of the season.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone called it a “significant” oblique strain, but no timetable has been given for Judge’s return.
–Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Matt Shoemaker will miss the rest of the season because of a torn left ACL, according to multiple reports.
Shoemaker, 32, was off to a terrific start this season with a 3-0 record and a 1.57 ERA in five games. He injured his knee on a freak play Saturday while chasing after the Oakland Athletics’ Matt Chapman in a rundown.
It was the latest setback for the veteran, who made only seven starts with the Los Angeles Angels last season because of a forearm strain. He also fractured his skull in 2016 when a line drive hit him in the head.
–The Tampa Bay Rays made a flurry of roster moves, including placing outfielder Austin Meadows on the 10-day injured list with a sprained right thumb.
Meadows was injured on a slide into third base while hitting a triple in the seventh inning of Saturday’s game against the Red Sox. He was replaced on the roster by infielder Joey Wendle, who was activated from the IL amid his recovery from a strained left hamstring.
The Rays also placed right-handed reliever Hunter Wood on the paternity list, while sending right-hander Jake Faria to Triple-A Durham. Right-hander Emilio Pagan was recalled from Durham, as was utility man Andrew Velazquez.
–Milwaukee Brewers second baseman Mike Moustakas was out of the lineup against the Los Angeles Dodgers after X-rays uncovered a fracture at the tip of his right ring finger.
The Brewers elected not to put the veteran on the injured list just yet, considering him day-to-day.
“He is pretty sore today, but it doesn’t change the timeframe for him,” manager Craig Counsell said. “We’ll see how it responds. It’s really a (pain-)tolerant thing, but if it’s going to be really sore and we have to give him 10 days, we will.”
–Field Level Media
FILE PHOTO: A Tesla logo is seen on a wheel rim during the media day for the Shanghai auto show in Shanghai, China April 16, 2019. REUTERS/Aly Song/File Photo
April 22, 2019
SHANGHAI (Reuters) – U.S. electric vehicle maker Tesla Inc on Monday said it had sent a team to investigate a video on Chinese social media which showed a parked Tesla car exploding.
The video was widely shared on China’s Twitter-like Weibo, with the hashtag “Tesla self-ignites” becoming one of the most-read topics on the platform, being viewed over five million times.
“After finding out about this incident in Shanghai, we immediately sent a team to the scene. We are currently contacting relevant departments to understand the situation. Based on current information, no one was hurt,” Tesla said on its official Weibo account.
(Reporting by Brenda Goh; Editing by Christopher Cushing)
Japan’s national flag is seen behind the logo of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc (MUFG) at its bank branch in Tokyo, Japan September 5, 2017. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon
April 22, 2019
TOKYO (Reuters) – Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group will book about a 100 billion yen ($893.34 million) loss in the year to March after its credit card unit stopped development of a new system, but it will stick to its full-year profit forecast, the Nikkei said.
MUFG, Japan’s biggest bank by assets, will keep its full-year net profit outlook of 950 billion yen, the newspaper said on Monday.
($1 = 111.9400 yen)
(Reporting by Takashi Umekawa; Editing by David Dolan)